1kg Lamb Shank; 1/2 Packet Mushrooms; 500g Baby Potatoes; 500g Baby Carrots; 1 x Onion;1 x Garlic Clove; 1 Packet Soup (Lamb Pot/Any Oxtail Soup); Salt and Pepper; Olive Oil (Additional Veggies can be added Oom Piet Rule 1: Less is more!); Basmati Rice
1. Make small fire with about 20 Briquets
2. With flat bottomed potjie put it on bricks just above hot coals or in case of potjie with legs just stick it on top of coals
3. Heat up oil and then place onions and garlic into hot oil. Cook for about 10 minutes until onions starting to brown and then remove from pot.
4. Add oil, Add Lamb shanks, Brown them for 10 minutes. Add Cup Red Wine and cook with lid on for about 20 minutes. Then add cup of water asnd cook for an additional hour and a half until meat is tender.
Oom Piet Tip No 2: Meat has to be very tender or else Potjie will be a flop
In terms of heat keep adding a few briqets to keep fire hot and meat simmering nicely (Listen for bubbles!)
5. Add carrots followed by potatoes. Add salt and pepper and simmer for 30-35 minutes with lid on.
6. Also add cooked onions and garlic (Easily forgotten while beers are flowing!)
7. Add packet mushrooms followed by gravy powder and just let it lie on top of Potjie mixture. Put lid back on and simmer for about 15 minutes.
8. At this time get the Basmati rice going, eating time is near!
9. After 15 minutes, give the Potjie a good stir to get all those flavours working together. Some Potjie chefs may disagree with the stir but Oom Piet swears by the final stir!
10. And there you have it, an absolutely delicious Lamb Shank(jie). Give it a go and let us know your thoughts and learnings. As any Potjie chef will tell you there is no right or wrong recipe but for us “Engelsman” we need some guidance!